Skip to main content

US waiver inadmissibility decision chart

US waiver inadmissibility decision flowchart

There are a lot of reasons why Canadian citizens may find themselves in need of a US waiver after being denied entry into the United States. I've updated the enclosed decision chart, a reference that allows individuals at-a-glance to determine if they are inadmissible and in need of a US entry waiver.

When can I not get a US Waiver?

It's important to note – in some situations – that inadmissibility can never be waived. These include tax evasion, or marijuana convictions of more than 30 grams (or drug convictions other than marijuana) where a waiver of inadmissibility will not be granted. Security violations are another example where waivers cannot be granted, except in extreme circumstances involving reasons of US foreign policy.

I've deliberately omitted from the chart, voluntary membership in a totalitarian party, which typically doesn't make one inadmissible.

This updated chart will be permanently posted on a separate page and linked through the references section at the bottom of this blog.


Comments

  1. I've got a great uncle who is a US citizen and I am trying to determine if I am eligible for the I-601 waiver. Is it only immediate family under the section about family unity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is next of kin only but I could be wrong. Call the US embassy?

      Delete
  2. I'm confused about the inadmissibility being never waived. If you have drug conviction for other than marijuana you can never get a waiver? Am I understanding this correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha can anyone answer this question?

      Delete
  3. If you have a trafficking charge of any amount of any drug you have no chance?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Check Your Waiver Application Status

I've never tried, but apparently there is an email address to check your waiver application status. CHECKING THE STATUS OF YOUR WAIVER REQUEST: Please allow at least 120 days from the date of submission of your I-192 before making an inquiry about the status of your application. As stated earlier, a full review of your circumstances can take up to a year, and requests for status updates may add to that timeline. However, if for some reason you are concerned about the status of your request, and you filed at a CBP Preclearance location or at a land border port of entry after August 26, 2007 you may ask for an update by emailing inquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov . In the email, be sure to provide your full name, DOB and your A number. If you filed at a land border port of entry prior to August 26, 2007, please contact them directly. Phone numbers are on our Web site. Attorney inquiries: attorneyinquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov If you have submitted an application and you have had a chang

Do you have an I-194 waiver?

Thanks to those who participated in my recent poll "Do you have an I-194 waiver?". It turns out that of those who participated over half have applied or intend to for the I-194 waiver (Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant). It is also interesting to note that the amount that have 1 year or 5 year waivers are very close (3 to 4). I had read somewhere that the waivers were granted as 1 year or 5 based on the degree or seriousness of the past offenses. If this is true, then wouldn't a person expect that if he/she were granted a 5 year waiver, he/she should always expect the 5 year waiver? I'd be happy to hear your comments and personal experiences on this. Update: See  I-192 Waiver Application Process

I-194 waiver renewal - another 5 years!

Great news! Today in the mailbox, just 3 months and 2 weeks after submitting my I-192 application with a Saturday interview at the Ottawa pre-clearance facility, I received my renewal (my second 5 year I-194 waiver) . This second 5 year waiver once again allows me to travel to the US for business and pleasure (B1/B2) for a maximum period of stay as determined by the admitting officer (the CBP officer on entry) . Have waiver, will travel! See updated information about renewals:   I-194 waiver renewal recap