Skip to main content

In search of the September Letter

What if I told you there exists a one time letter you could get from DHS that would permanently clear you for US entry? With this letter, you would never again need an I-194 waiver of inadmissibility (US entry waiver). I'm sure your response would be along the lines of: "where do I sign up?"

September Letter – the permanent waiver

A September Letter is a document from DHS that states that you do not need an I-194 waiver. The letter is a one time thing. Once you have this letter, you present it to the border officer and your USA entry should be permanently cleared for this particular issue. The packet is prepared with specific documentation to show why you likely do not need a US entry waiver. It's likely processed through ARO (Admissibility Review Office) and if they agree, you'll get issued the letter for permanent US travel.

There is hope?


The US code states that you can qualify for an exception for a moral turpitude conviction if (1) you only have one CIMT conviction and (2) the max sentence is less than a year and (3) you were not sentenced to more than 6 months. 
So let's assume this letter is similar to the petty offence exception. As described above, I would not qualify on the 1st point since I have 2 CIMT convictions: 2 theft under $1K – each a summary conviction which has a maximum penalty of 6 months (in my case both fines and on one a suspended sentence).

There is another section that I referenced in a recent post about how ARO assesses ineligibility that states (and this may cause hope for me), that if you have more than one conviction, CIMT or otherwise for which the aggregate sentence was more than 5 yrs, you are inadmissible. The combined of my summary convictions: 1 year!

Only focusing on how ARO assesses ineligibility, I could be admissible without a waiver, since the aggregate of my sentences are low. The fact that point 1 makes me inadmissible for a CIMT, and then doesn't make an exception for multiple convictions, doesn't bode well. Still, there is hope, right?

Sounds excellent, where do I sign up?

This is where things get difficult. I've found absolutely zero documentation about the September Letter on any US government website. It gets worse. On a recent trip to the US through Toronto I asked the pre-clearance border officer if he could provide me information about the September Letter. He looked confused and said he'd never heard of it. He checked with a peer in the next station. Nope, neither of them had heard anything about a September Letter.

Finally, if you Google the words – September Letter – you'll find a list, mostly garbage and unrelated, but specked with a few waiver service provider companies offering to assist you in getting the fabled September Letter. So is the September Letter fact or fiction? I'd certainly like to know.


Comments

  1. The term 'September Letter' came around because these documents were historically issued in September (no idea why). I don't think you'll find any documentation regarding this as an official document. The point is rather that you can get some sort of a permanent waiver letter from homeland security that excludes your inadmissibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that true 6c and 9c ban are not eligible for September Letter ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we get them all the time for our clients. Here is a sample of a September Letter that we obtained for one of our clients. www.us-entry-waiver.com/permanent-us-entry-waiver.html. 6c would definitely not be eligible for September letters. 9c may or may not...depending on the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a total scam. See http://www.albertapardons.com/fraud.html - Question number 10.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have an I-194 waiver?

Thanks to those who participated in my recent poll "Do you have an I-194 waiver?". It turns out that of those who participated over half have applied or intend to for the I-194 waiver (Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant). It is also interesting to note that the amount that have 1 year or 5 year waivers are very close (3 to 4). I had read somewhere that the waivers were granted as 1 year or 5 based on the degree or seriousness of the past offenses. If this is true, then wouldn't a person expect that if he/she were granted a 5 year waiver, he/she should always expect the 5 year waiver? I'd be happy to hear your comments and personal experiences on this. Update: See  I-192 Waiver Application Process

Check Your Waiver Application Status

I've never tried, but apparently there is an email address to check your waiver application status. CHECKING THE STATUS OF YOUR WAIVER REQUEST: Please allow at least 120 days from the date of submission of your I-192 before making an inquiry about the status of your application. As stated earlier, a full review of your circumstances can take up to a year, and requests for status updates may add to that timeline. However, if for some reason you are concerned about the status of your request, and you filed at a CBP Preclearance location or at a land border port of entry after August 26, 2007 you may ask for an update by emailing inquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov . In the email, be sure to provide your full name, DOB and your A number. If you filed at a land border port of entry prior to August 26, 2007, please contact them directly. Phone numbers are on our Web site. Attorney inquiries: attorneyinquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov If you have submitted an application and you have had a chang

I-194 waiver renewal - another 5 years!

Great news! Today in the mailbox, just 3 months and 2 weeks after submitting my I-192 application with a Saturday interview at the Ottawa pre-clearance facility, I received my renewal (my second 5 year I-194 waiver) . This second 5 year waiver once again allows me to travel to the US for business and pleasure (B1/B2) for a maximum period of stay as determined by the admitting officer (the CBP officer on entry) . Have waiver, will travel! See updated information about renewals:   I-194 waiver renewal recap